Protecting Your Rights When Injured by an Uninsured Driver

Protecting Your Rights When Injured by an Uninsured Driver

When you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, one of the first places you tend to look for compensation for your injuries is the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. But what are your options when the person who hit you is uninsured, if they only have coverage for damage to their vehicle, or if they don’t have enough coverage to fully compensate you for all your losses. This blog post looks at your options when you have been injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

If you have been injured in any type of motor vehicle accident, the attorneys at the Law Offices of John E. Kusturiss, Jr, can help. Contact our office or call us at 610-565-0240 for a free initial consultation.

Look at Your Own Insurance Policy

Though many people are unaware, most insurers offer coverage in the event you are hurt in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. This type of coverage, known as “uninsured or under-insured motorists coverage (UM/UIM),” is generally not automatic, however. It typically comes as an additional “rider” on your policy, with an additional premium. If you have such a rider, however, you can look to your own insurance company to provide compensation if the other driver lacks insurance or has insufficient insurance to cover your losses.

You can file suit directly against the person who caused you harm, but they may not have assets sufficient to cover your losses.

Look at Other Potential Defendants

In many auto accidents, there are factors other than just the negligence of the other driver that can contribute to your injuries. There may be defects in the other driver’s car (either design or manufacturing defects), allowing you to seek compensation in a product liability claim. There may have been potholes or other roadway defects that contributed to the cause of the accident. An experienced lawyer can help you identify and bring in all potential defendants, so that you can pursue full and fair compensation for all your losses.

Contact the Law Offices of John E. Kusturiss, Jr.

Let us put more than 30 years of experience to work for you.  To arrange a private meeting with an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney, contact us online or call us at 610-565-0240. We are available to meet with you evenings or weekends upon request. We take Visa, MasterCard and Discover, as well as debit cards.

Speak Your Mind


Our Practice Focus