Property Rights for Unmarried Cohabitant

Property Rights of Unmarried Partners in Pennsylvania

Cohabitation Agreements | Joint Purchase of Real or Personal Property | Liability for Debts | Inheritance or Survivorship Benefits

If you live in a domestic partnership or other relationship with someone but are not married, you will not be able to use the divorce laws and family law courts of Pennsylvania to protect any investment you have in property you bought together. However, there are steps you can take to protect your interests in the event you end the relationship or your partner dies. The lawyers at the Law Offices of John E. Kusturiss Jr. can help protect your rights.

At the Law Offices of John E. Kusturiss Jr., in Media, we have provided comprehensive counsel to men and women throughout Delaware County and the surrounding communities in eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey for more than 30 years. Attorney Alyssa K. Poole oversees all divorce and family law matters for our firm.

We take a proactive approach, carefully examining your situation and identifying all applicable concerns, as well as your options. We can frequently apprise you of innovative strategies you can use to help you get the outcome you want. We understand the difficult emotions that come when a relationship ends, and will take the time to listen carefully to your questions and concerns, providing clear answers that minimize your stress and anxiety.

We provide a reduced-fee consultation to every family law client. Contact our office by e-mail or call us at (610) 565-0240 to set up a private meeting.

Protecting the Rights of Unmarried Partners

We will help you take the necessary measures to protect your financial and legal interests, working with you to prepare and execute a written cohabitation agreement setting forth how debts and liabilities will be allocated in the event of a separation. We can advise you regarding the best ways to purchase such items as real property, furniture, motor vehicles and other items, and how you can set up bank and investment accounts to protect yourself in the event of a separation or the death of a partner.

We handle all matters related to estate planning for unmarried partners as well, helping you put procedures in place that ensure that jointly purchased property or jointly owned items transfer to you upon the death of your partner.

Contact Our Office

For an appointment, contact us online or call our office at (610) 565-0240. Evening or weekend meetings are available upon request. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover, including debit cards. Your initial family law consultation will be at a reduced fee.

Our Practice Focus